If you ever need an SSH key on Windows you can generate it using the PuTTY SSH client.
You can download PuTTY for free from the official Putty Homepage.
To generate a key with PuTTY, you should:
- Download and start the puttygen.exe generator.
- In the “Parameters” section choose SSH2 DSA and press Generate.
- Move your mouse randomly in the small screen in order to generate the key pairs.
- Enter a key comment, which will identify the key (useful when you use several SSH keys).
- Type in the passphrase and confirm it. The passphrase is used to protect your key. You will be asked for it when you connect via SSH.
- Click “Save private key” to save your private key.
- Click “Save public key” to save your public key.